Release Date: April 9, 2012
Note: A newer bugfix release, 2.7.4, is currently available. Its use is recommended over previous versions of 2.7.
Python 2.7.3 was released on April 9, 2012. 2.7.3 includes fixes for several reported security issues in 2.7.2: issue 13703 (oCERT-2011-003, hash collision denial of service), issue 14234 (CVE-2012-0876, hash table collisions CPU usage DoS in the expat library), issue 14001 (CVE-2012-0845, SimpleXMLRPCServer denial of service), and issue 13885 (CVE-2011-3389, disabling of the CBC IV attack countermeasure in the _ssl module).
The Python 2.7 series is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series before 2.x moves into an extended maintenance period. The 2.7 series contains many of the features that were first released in Python 3.1. Improvements in this release include:
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping, new assert methods, and test discovery
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- Set literals
- Set and dictionary comprehensions
- Dictionary views
- New syntax for nested with statements
- The sysconfig module
See these resources for further information:
- What's new in 2.7?
- Change log for this release.
- Online Documentation
- Report bugs at http://bugs.python.org.
- Help fund Python and its community.
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Gzipped source tar ball (2.7.3) (sig)
- Bzipped source tar ball (2.7.3) (sig)
- XZ source tar ball (2.7.3) (sig)
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.3) (sig)
- Windows x86 MSI program database (2.7.3) (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.3)  (sig)
- Windows X86-64 program database (2.7.3)  (sig)
- Windows help file (sig)
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit x86-64/i386 Installer (2.7.3) for Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7  (sig). [You may need an updated Tcl/Tk install to run IDLE or use Tkinter, see note 2 for instructions.]
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.3) for Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.6  (sig).
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key (fingerprint: 12EF 3DC3 8047 DA38 2D18 A5B9 99CD EA9D A413 5B38). The Windows installer was signed by Martin von Löwis' public key, which has a key id of 7D9DC8D2. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
c57477edd6d18bd9eeca2f21add73919 11793433 Python-2.7.3.tar.bz2 62c4c1699170078c469f79ddfed21bc0 9976088 Python-2.7.3.tar.xz 2cf641732ac23b18d139be077bd906cd 14135620 Python-2.7.3.tgz 80461c3c60fae64122b51eb20341b453 22178854 python-2.7.3-macosx10.3.dmg 15c434a11abe7ea5575ef451cfd60f67 18761950 python-2.7.3-macosx10.6.dmg 008a63d89d67d41801a55ea341a34676 16221250 python-2.7.3-pdb.zip 5e24faf0b64c59e5f11f1fcfe4644bf3 17376322 python-2.7.3.amd64-pdb.zip d11d4aeb7e5425bf28f28ab1c7452886 16420864 python-2.7.3.amd64.msi c846d7a5ed186707d3675564a9838cc2 15867904 python-2.7.3.msi 9401a5f847b0c1078a4c68dccf6cd38a 5898853 python273.chm
|||(1, 2) The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here. Also, on Mac OS X 10.6, if you need to build C extension modules with the 32-bit-only Python installed, you will need Apple Xcode 3, not 4. The 64-bit/32-bit Python can use either Xcode 3 or Xcode 4.|
|Version||Operating System||Description||MD5 Sum||File Size||GPG|
|bzip2 compressed source tarball||Source release||c57477edd6d18bd9eeca2f21add73919||11793433||SIG|
|Gzipped source tarball||Source release||ba854a72c9c0ca671b99a36e070d78e0||63682560||SIG|
|XZ compressed source tarball||Source release||62c4c1699170078c469f79ddfed21bc0||9976088||SIG|
|Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.3 and later||80461c3c60fae64122b51eb20341b453||22178854||SIG|
|Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit installer||Mac OS X||for Mac OS X 10.6 and later||15c434a11abe7ea5575ef451cfd60f67||18761950||SIG|
|Windows debug information files||Windows||008a63d89d67d41801a55ea341a34676||16221250||SIG|
|Windows help file||Windows||9401a5f847b0c1078a4c68dccf6cd38a||5898853||SIG|
|Windows x86-64 MSI installer||Windows||for AMD64/EM64T/x64, not Itanium processors||d11d4aeb7e5425bf28f28ab1c7452886||16420864||SIG|
|Windows x86 MSI installer||Windows||c846d7a5ed186707d3675564a9838cc2||15867904||SIG|